Sunday, October 23, 2011

1st Term

1st Term is just about over, but there are still a few things to do. This 4 day weekend, I haven't really done anything. I've been mostly playing video games, watching T.V., and being bored because my best friend was at Mount Rushmore and my other friends were either sick or busy. Today I realized how much stuff I still have left to do and am now rushing through everything. NOTE TO SELF: STOP PROCRASTINATING.

This term has been pretty good. I've been able to keep up with everything mostly. Some things didn't quite turn out as I expected them to, but it all worked out. I thought that NAL (National Academic League) would be a little harder, more (for lack of a better word) competitive. Davis Youth Symphony has been the opposite. It's been a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. I kind of joined it without much thought after the orchestra teacher recommended me. The music is rather complicated and there is a lot of it. I've had to practice it a lot more, and because of this I haven't had much time to practice for my orchestra class. I need to do this much more now with a concert on Wednesday. Science Olympiad has sort of been on hold this year due to not having a "place" to run it at the state level. I talked to the science teacher about it and he says that he's pretty sure that it will happen, but he doesn't know when we are going to start. Another thing that could have happened is I might have tried out for the musical. I had a friend who wanted me to try out because I went to a couple interventions with him in the drama class. I was tempted to, but when I found out about it the applications were due within the week and I decided I wouldn't really have time for it.

For Honors English, I just realized there was a book I was supposed to read. It's called "The Chosen" and it's the last thing that I have to do to get Honors English credit for this term. I've got a week to read it, so I'll probably be inside reading every day this week.

Last Wednesday, I recited the poem "IF" by Rudyard Kipling in English class. This was the term project and I think I did pretty good. The one big thing that I have left in English is book points. I finished Uncle Tungsten and have to give an oral report to the teacher after school some time this week.

Thoughts on Uncle Tungsten:
Uncle Tungsten is a very very scientific book. I'd recommend researching the things he talks about in the book as you read it (if you read it) so you can understand what he is talking about. I remember some of the stuff he was talking about from eighth grade science but I had to stop and think about it. There is a lot to learn from this book though too. Oliver Sacks (the author(this book is an autobiography)) explores the history and development of chemistry and physics and explains it how he saw it. I might reread this book later because of all the things it teaches. It was an okay read for me. It was exactly "thrilling" but a more "if you're interested" book.

No comments:

Post a Comment