Monday, January 2, 2012

A New Year

2011 is now over and the year 2012 has begun. I had a lot of fun and some interesting experiences in 2011 and I hope I have the same in 2012. The world is supposed to end next December, so that should be interesting to see. I don't actually believe that it will, I just want to see how people get ready for it.

When you sum up most of the resolutions I decided on, it comes down to not procrastinating. It's become a serious problem. I've turned in so many huge assignments at the last minute that I was seriously worried that I was going to fail a class or two. I made it through though, but it was close. I think it will be a lot easier on myself, give me more time for other things, and I will do a better job on assignments if I do them as soon as possible and turn them in as soon as possible. Included with that, I want to practice the bass a lot more than I already do and maybe learn a song or two on the guitar. I used to take lessons for guitar but I stopped once school started. I wish I hadn't now. I still want to maintain a 4.0 GPA and participate in a lot of extracurricular activities.

For New Year's Eve I celebrated by having a party with some friends. It was lots of fun. We watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes, played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, and sat around a fire eating roasted marshmallows and drinking sparkling cider. My parents were pretty much freaking out about me getting ready for the party. They took me to the store and we bought way to much stuff for what we did. I was planning on messing around with fireworks (with adult supervision of course) with everybody but we never ended up getting fireworks. We still had a blast though. I think everyone enjoyed, although there was somebody there whom I think everybody was annoyed with.

I've finished the book To Kill A Mockingbird, and am almost through with Walk Two Moons. I have to write a comparative essay between Salamanca and Scout for Honors English and I thought I'd start reviewing right now for it.

The first thing I noticed about both of them is that neither of them currently have their mothers with them. This is an important aspect in Walk Two Moons, but it doesn't play so big of a role in TKAM (To Kill A Mockingbird). I think it's because, for Sal, it happened recently and she knew her mother well. For Scout, it's not such a big deal because she never knew her mother and she has a sibling to look up to and to help her get along.

Both Salamanca and Scout grew up in Southern parts and it has influenced them greatly. Salamanca loved the farm she grew up on and she is always saying how she misses it in her story. Scout lives in Alabama, in a small town and is still trying to understand how it works. They're both pretty young, both are girls, and both of them love their parents.

Salamanca is different from Scout though. She's older, has experienced more, and knows more. From what I understand, she is partly Native American from her mother's side. Although she grew up in Tennessee, she moved and hasn't quite grown accustomed to it. She tells her story as she is on a road trip with her grandparents to Lewiston, Idaho where her mother died.

I think Scout is a lot more straightforward than Salamanca. She tells things as she sees them, not the way she wants to believe as Sal does. Scout is more interested in learning about the world she lives in than individual people. Sal is always thinking about her mom and how she wants her to come back. TKAM is about how Scout learns about the town she lives in and how people act and think there. Walk Two Moons is more about the people Salamanca meets and how she interacts with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment