Sunday, November 13, 2011

To Kill A Mockingbird and other books

This term, for Honors English, we've been asked to read To Kill A Mockingbird and Walk Two Moons. For science, I also have to read either Shackleton's Stowaway, Into Thin Air, or The Perfect Storm. I haven't yet decided which to read. I chose to read To Kill A Mockingbird first because I knew that I already owned a copy.

To Kill A Mockingbird has been an "okay" book so far. I really like the main character, Scout, though. She is more of a tomboy and doesn't really like doing girl stuff. She gets into fights and plays boys games, and her two best friends are her brother and a boy named Dill.

This book is set soon after the Civil War and life is different from how we know it now. The education system was very old, and was just coming around to changing. Scout has to deal with her odd neighborhood, school, and her family. As I read it, I can just imagine how things felt for her. With the details, you can see each expression and feeling. It sort of reminds me of how a child thinks, seeing it through the eyes of Scout.

No comments:

Post a Comment